Tuesday, January 29, 2013

What's up?

At the beginning of the semester I rearranged my office because I really hated (1) not being able to see out the window while I worked and (2) having a big old desk in between me and my visitors. So, now when I work at my desk I can see out my windows (today, for instance, we had a lovely am thunderstorm). And I have a nice sitting area for guests (and me when I get tired of sitting at my desk). And, added bonus, Tommy got me a balance ball so I get a little exercise even when I sit at my desk for nine or ten hours a day. Here's what it currently looks like:




It's dark outside the windows because I took this at about 7:30 am just as the thunderstorm was starting. Very interesting weather around here today. Yesterday was REALLY warm which resulted in the 12:01 am record high temp for today: 70 degrees. Now (5:45 pm in the evening), the temperature is 36 and we have a 70% chance of snow tonight which is supposed to result in about an inch of snow for tomorrow morning! Which is just fine with me...except that I have a day full of meetings tomorrow starting at 9 am so there's not really a choice of working from home 'cause the weather's bad (grin).

Mom and Dad are on their way to Tampa tomorrow to visit with the Williamsons. I'm hoping their travel is smooth and uneventful. And I'm off to Portland, OR on Thursday to teach my favorite class on Friday evening and Saturday. That's LI804, Organization of Information (and if you're really interested, you can see the syllabus here:
http://slim.emporia.edu/Forms/syllabus/syllabus_display.cfm?CourseCode=804XO20131).

What's especially fun about this class this semester is that I also have an ESU doctoral student participating in the class. It's a class she needs to complete her doctoral course work so she's doing the masters level course work plus some additional reading, discussion, and higher expectations of the literature review at the end. This week we're reading George Lakoff's "Women, Fire, and Dangerous Things" about categories. I'm not entirely sure I "get" his ideas yet but it's kind of fun to have a doc student to explore them with.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments: