Thursday, May 17, 2007

More San Jose

Whew! This is a really intense conference. I’ve attended twelve sessions so far and am writing this as I wait the thirteenth (and last) one to start. I don’t ever get to go to that many sessions at NASIG (North American Serials Interest Group’s annual conference) let alone ALA (American Library Association’s conference). But I’ve learned a huge amount of stuff that will be useful to me and the library where I work and had a chance to talk about it with a couple of colleagues from my library who are also here.

San Jose is a little cooler than I expected. It’s been sunny all week but the temperature only gets into the low 70’s if we’re lucky and only then for a couple of hours around noon. And there’s this constant breeze that I think is the remnants of the ocean breeze off the Pacific which we’re about 10 miles from. Sadly, I packed skirts and t-shirts and sandals better suited for Corpus Christi weather (or maybe what a Corpus Christian imagines California weather will be like).

On the bright side, that’s led me to drink a lot of tea during breaks between sessions and I’ve discovered some very nice ones. They’re made by a company called Peet’s which runs a coffee shop around here too…I have no idea whether this is a trendy brand or the next best thing to Lipton but they’re very tasty. Just now I’m drinking green tea “with hints of wild grasses”.

I had dinner last night with a couple of college friends whom I haven’t seen in 20 (ok, probably more like 23 if you must know) years. We had loads of fun catching up on 20 years worth of news. Makes me sad that we've been out of contact for so long.

No comments: