Sunday, June 25, 2006

Saturday, 6-26-06 in New Orleans at American Library Association Conference

9:00 am

Well, one day into the conference and I've already misread my schedule. The meeting I thought was this morning at 8 am is actually tomorrow at 8 am...which means that I'll miss it because I'm going to a breakfast put on by Alexander Street Press. Don't want to msis that one because they always have a wonderful speaker. Sigh. So I've walked on over to the Convention Center to go to the exhibits.

Had a lovely dinner last night with the sales reps from Thomson/ISI at a very fancy seafood restaurant. Lovely food, lovely wine, lovely company including Chris and Sally. However there may have been just a little too much wine because by the end of the evening I found myself agreeing to choreograph a team for next year's bookcart drill team competition. Yes, it's just what it sounds like, teams of librarians (and, in this case, vendors) pushing book carts around in formation to music. We made grand plans to rehearse at ALA's midwinter conference in Seattle in January. It will be a good laugh (and with this group, a good after-party!).

New Orleans, the French Quarter and business districts at least, are in pretty good shape. Every once in a while you'll see a building in disrepair and there's construction everywhere. But comparatively few people other than librarians. Not a bad time to vacation here I would think if one wanted to see NO without facing the usual druken crowds. Not that librarians don't drink (as evidenced last night), but a drunken librarian just seems a bit more innocuous than the usual NO drunk!

I'm off to the exhibits.

No comments: