What a nice weekend! Saturday we had a garage sale with our neighbors. We didn't make a lot of money but the weather cooperated (it was cool, for South Texas, and cloudy all morning) and it was fun to do something with our neighbors. As you can see, the kids next door even had a lemonade stand. I had looked forward to not taking any classes this summer and being able to participate in visiting with the neighborhood in the evenings but so far it has been either too hot or too mosquito-y.

Saturday afternoon we went to the nursery. Tommy needed "medication" for the yellow spots and the brown spots in the yard and the bugs in the ficus trees and I needed flowers and herbs for the spring vegetable beds that Tommy had cleared out last weekend. Needless to say, we spent the rest of the afternoon planting. We now have a nice bed of brightly colored zinnias where the squash used to be. I had to plant herb seeds since it is evidently past prime herb season here. Undaunted, I planted basil, oregano, and thyme seeds among the chives, rosemary, and marjoram.

Inspired by the garage sale, we also went to Lowe's for Tommy's father's day gift and came away with a lovely new rug for the livingroom. Now before you say to yourself, hmmm, that sounds more like a gift for Sarah than for Tommy, let me hasten to say that Tommy has been after me to find a new rug for the living room literally since the day we moved in a year and a half ago. Anyhow, it looks lovely!
Next weekend I'm off to New Orleans for the American Library Association conference. It's the first big conference to be held in New Orleans since Katrina so I imagine it will get some press attention. I'm looking forward to the workshops I've signed up for and to NOT having a lot of committee work to do. Anyhow, stay tuned and I'll post a bit about how the city looks and what I'm doing and learning.
No comments:
Post a Comment