Sunday, June 25, 2006

The elevator incident…or, dazed and confused.

Really, the first thing I screwed up upon arriving in New Orleans was the elevator at the Marriott New Orleans. They’re very high tech. You’re supposed to enter your floor on the keypad outside the elevators before getting on. In my enthusiasm and innocence, what I did was hop on the first open elevator I saw. As the doors closed and I looked in vain for the floor buttons on the inside of the elevator, my elevator mates asked if I was going to the 5th or the 9th floors. Seeing the dazed look on my face, they explained that you had to tell the elevator gods what floor you wanted to go to before you got on. The gods would then tell you via an lcd display which elevator to get on. Torn between delight at the use of technology and feeling stupid, I laughed at myself and then got off at the 5th floor and took an impromptu tour of the swimming pool before recovering my wits and using the elevators correctly to get to my room on the 10th floor.

No comments: