Saturday, October 06, 2012

For Mom


So I haven't been as diligent as I hoped I would be with keeping you up to date via my blog. There hasn't been much to report. Work is going well. I'm grading assignments and attending meetings and making preparations for next semesters' classes. I've been meeting with a group of other new faculty members every Tuesday to work on my research. We decided it would be helpful to all of us if we committed to meeting once a week for two hours. That way it's not so easy to put off.

My trip to Salt Lake City to teach went well. It was really fun to meet my students face to face. They're a very sociable group. But ten hours of teaching is HARD. I was completely exhausted when I finished up on Saturday afternoon. It was a good thing that my flight home wasn't until Sunday.

Anyway, the reason I started this today was to show you pictures of our garage sale adventures this week. Yesterday I stopped at one on my walk home from work and found four place settings of blue willow ware in their original boxes for $1 a box. I'm sure they're nothing special but I couldn't pass that up so we now have a couple more place settings.

While I was sleeping in this morning, Tommy walked round the block and stopped at a garage sale where he bought this table. It's perfect for the chairs and now we have place to set up a puzzle!




When we went out together I found a couple of pieces of material that will make perfect curtains and a huge sewing kit filled with thread which I'll use up quickly quilting. But I think my favorite thing is a wooden old fashioned looking sign that says "Be nice or get out" which I had to have for my office. There've been some heated discussions among faculty lately and they all know me well enough to know that I like to keep the peace so the sign will be kind of a joke but also a way of reminding them to be nice too.

When we came home this morning we re-arranged the living room a bit. We'd been talking about needing a fireplace so Tommy said why didn't we re-arrange things just to see where we might put it. Well, one thing lead to another and this is the result:




We put Tommy's recliner in my office and my chair in the living room next to the fire. I'm so anxious for you to come see the new house!



Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments: