I have been seriously appalled at times during this past election season at some of the things that people will say about each other on TV and at some of the things that people will say about our country's president to my face. The more I heard and read, the more stubborn I became about keeping out of it and keeping my opinions to myself. But then I remembered one of my favorite quotes and it seems appropriate to share it in this context...
[Being] American isn't easy. America is advanced citizenship. You gotta want it bad, 'cause it's gonna put up a fight. It's gonna say, "You want free speech? Let's see you acknowledge a man whose words make your blood boil, who's standing center stage and advocating, at the top of his lungs, that which you would spend a lifetime opposing at the top of yours. You want to claim this land as the land of the free, then the symbol of your country can't just be a flag; the symbol also has to be one of its citizens exercising his right to burn that flag in protest. Show me that, defend that, celebrate that in your classrooms. Then you can stand up and sing about the land of the free.
--President Andrew Sheppard, The American President
1 comment:
Yep, you are right. It's hard sometimes allowing someone else the "right" to be "wrong" - at least in the opinion of the beholder:) When an election doesn't go your way, it was still an election and that's the way we run things around here. Try again next time and let the process work. I hate sore losers from any part of the spectrum of politics!
Post a Comment