Saturday, August 02, 2008

What an idiot I am!

Last night as we were sipping a glass of wine on the back porch I got out my laptop to order dinner (Pizza Hut...might as well admit that as well) and just as I got it started up I knocked over a full glass of wine directly onto the keyboard. If you've never had this experience, I can assure you that wine in a computer has approximately the same affect as putting your cell phone in the washing machine...and it's not a good one...and roughly the same result: the immediate need to go shopping for a new device.

So I'm writing to you on my brand new (not very expensive or exciting) laptop, the only benefit to which is that since it's not clutter up with multiple gigs of stuff is quite snappy in terms of response time. 'Course I'm going to have to figure out how (or who) to get most of those multiple gigs of stuff back eventually...

Oh, almost forgot, that makes Tommy and me even, sort of. He's washed two cell phones to my one, so I was ahead (a rare occurrence) until last night. Hmmm...does a laptop count more than a cell phone?!?!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Sorry to hear about the accident. If the hard drive is ok, though, then it's easy to dupe. Do I recall that you had a Gateway? On my old Gateway laptop, if you flipped it over, you saw the hatch that covered the HD (pretty much opposite the trackpad's location on the 'front'). If you feel comfortable removing it, you can take it (or the whole laptop) to Best Buy or some such and they should be able to dupe it for you.

SWS said...

Thanks! The guys at Altex where I bought the new one said pretty much the same thing so I'll probably try that today and take it in tomorrow.

At first I didn't think I'd lost much data ('cause I work on Google docs a lot now) but then I thought of the bibliography for my dissertation and heaved a heavy sigh...it'd be really nice to get that back!