Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Planes, trains, and automobiles…(written Tuesday, 6/26/07)

Never a dull moment! Here I sit on Amtrak train 291 at a dead stop halfway between Poughkeepsie and Albany waiting for the coroner to come clear away the body of the person the train hit about an hour ago. Yep, you read it right, about an hour and a half ago we hit some idiot who was sitting on the train tracks. I vaguely heard the whistle blowing…and I remember it getting louder and longer and wondering what in the world kind of stop or crossing we were coming up to…and then there was a clatter similar to what you hear when you drive your car on a newly paved road. And then we stopped. The conductor just announced that we’ll probably be here for another hour, hour and a half, or two hours…sigh. I hope Jen and Sally’s flight back to Corpus was less eventful!

I found a couple of news stories about it...

http://www.timesunion.com/AspStories/story.asp?storyID=601291

http://www.timesunion.com/AspStories/story.asp?storyID=601304

…oh yeah, sorry ‘bout the “dead stop” thing :-)

P.S. I finally arrived in Rutland at midnight, four hours late but with my own bed (well almost) to sleep in at the end of the road which is more than I can say for my friends Sally and Jen who, the last I heard, were stuck in DFW airport by thunderstorms and facing another night on the road (although hopefully not on the airport floor!).



No comments: