Thursday, May 31, 2007

Louisville, KY

I'm in Louisville, KY this week for another conference. This is the North American Serials Interest Group (NASIG) which is an organization of serials librarians (which I am). It's going to be a really full weekend for me since it is also an organization in which I am fairly active.

One of my responsibilities in the organization is chairing the Awards & Recognition Committee which is charged with administering the five or six different awards that NASIG gives every year. The worst part of chairing this committee is that I had to get up in front of about 600 people this afternoon and introduce all of this year's award recipients. The best part of chairing this committee is the recipients themselves. They're young and enthusiastic and great fun to be with.

This morning my friend Sally and I went sightseeing at the Louisville Slugger factory where they make baseball bats. We toured the factory and learned about the differences between the way they make bats for major league players and minor league players. They also have over 8,000 players "signed" with them. That means that they have the players' signature on file and can engrave it on the bats they make for them. They display all of the signatures on a wall near the front of the museum so I looked for Tommy's signature but didn't see it. Will have to ask him whether he "signed" with Louisville Slugger when he was a minor league player.

Tomorrow the workshops begin and I present my poster. I'll try to have someone take a picture of it to post here. I'll also be blogging about the workshops I attend (since this hotel, blessedly, has wireless internet access) on my more professional blog, Never Stop Learning. So if you're interested in library stuff feel free to check in there as well.

No comments: