Friday, November 24, 2006

Translation please

Ok, somebody needs to explain doctors to me, quickly. Twice in one week, a doctor has called us to say, your test results are back and I need to speak with you as soon as possible. Although I tend towards the optimistic end of the spectrum, this type of call always makes my stomach twist up. The first time was last Thursday when the doctor called about Tommy's blood work results. The second was this morning when the vet called about Virginia's test results (they're worried about her kidney function and want to conduct another test in about two weeks).

So why do they do this? Is it some kind of code? Take the emergency room for example. I finally figured out the code of the emergency room: they work hard to make the average emergency room visit as unpleasant as possible (while still, eventually, providing whatever medical care is necessary) because they don't want to encourage those people who use the emergency room as if it were a regular doctor's office (and nevermind the rest of us). But figuring this out took a while and the not knowing was occasionally painful.

So what I want to know is if there is a similar code for doctors of which I am unaware. If so, then they need to make it more public because not knowing just seems to me to cause people undo stress. If anyone out there has the answer, please share!

No comments: