Well, despite our being on vacation it's been an eventful week. I took Virginia to the doctor yesterday and she was VERY good. She let them take blood and urine and her temperature and check her eyes and hips for arthritis. Happily, all of the tests came back and she's perfectly well for a nine year old kitty. Well, except for a supersensitivity to mosquito bites but we've got that under control I think.
Today we didn't fare so well. I took Tommy to the doctor and between his glucose levels and his cholesterol and triglycerides he's been diagnosed as diabetic. Not a complete surprise since one of his sisters is borderline diabetic too. Luckily we caught it early and the doctor thinks we can control it with diet and exercise (which we both need anyway!). So we came home with a prescription for a medicine that is supposed to help with the diabetes which should, in turn, help with the high triglycerides. In the meantime we're taking a walk around the block every evening (twice, actually) and working on a diet. Next week, we'll go to diabetes class to help with the dieting.
I found a useful website, http://diabetes.niddk.nih.gov/dm/pubs/eating_ez/#1, but if anyone has any ideas that they think would help, please share them. I think we'll both end up healthier and thinner so please don't worry about us!
No comments:
Post a Comment