Saturday, January 31, 2015

CCSuttons...still appropriate as it turns out

For awhile I've been thinking that I ought to change the title of my blog since, originally, CCSuttons referred to Corpus Christi Suttons and we haven't lived in Corpus Christi for more than two years.  But events this week have convinced me that CCSuttons still refers to us. Instead of Corpsu Christi, now the CC is short for careless and clumsy.  Careless refers to Tommy's accident with the chop saw last November.  That, by the way, is almost complete healed now.  We're going for what we hope is his last visit with the orthopedic surgeon on Monday.

Clumsy refers to me because I fell down some stairs and broke my left ankle and sprained my right foot. Unfortunately. said stairs were located in the Intercontinental hotel in Chicago.  I was attending the ALISE conference ... My very first day there!  

The good news is that I was, thanks I large part to the FANTASTIC staff at the Intercontinental Hotel and my wonderful colleagues from SLIM, able to stay for the rest of the conference and make my presentation Mirah Dow on Friday morning.  I did actually come homes day early, yesterday, since there really was no hope of walking down Michigan Ave to the Art Institute on Friday afternoon or walking around the ALA Midwinter exhibit hall on Satruday morning.

Here I am in Midway airpot yesterday afternoon waiting to be pre-boarded on my flight home! note the crutches hung on the wheel chair.


And sitting in my hotel room on Wednesday right after I got back from the minor emergency care place;


I have to end with a long list of thank you for everyone who helped me out during the past few days.  Thanks to the geat staff at the Intercontinental Hotel including Jim in security, Sylvia at the concierge desk, Aaron at the bell stand, and all of the housekeeping staff who helped me in and out of my room. Thanks to my colleagues Gwen Alexander, Andrew Smith, Mirah Dow, Melvin Hale, and especially Robin Kurz who was my room mate and spent time fetching me ice for my injuries and water for tea.  


2 comments:

Eileen said...

You poor thing! Nothing worse than not feeling well when you're away from home!

Will you be going to ALA in San Francisco in June? I'm hoping to be there although nothing's for sure yet.

SWS said...

Ooooh! What fun that would be, to meet up at ALA. I'm not sure whether Im going or not but let me know when your plans are more solid.