Two weekends ago, we drove out to what we've been told is the best nursery, Arnold's Greenhouse to buy vegetables and some bushes. It was about an hour drive out to Arnold's which is in southeast KS. We found what we wanted and more and stopped for lunch at a typical "best _____ in Kansas" place, this time it was the best jerky in KS. So, of course, we tried the jerky and also had barbecued beef sandwiches which were not bad at all. The trick was finding the place, because, again as is beginning to be typical, it didn't look like a restaurant. It looked more like a run down gas station. We didn't plant anything when we got home because it was supposed to get close to freezing later that weekend.
Last weekend I was in Portland, OR teaching. Portland is quickly becoming one of my favorite cities to visit. The train takes me from the airport to my hotel in about 40 minutes for $2.50. This time I had dinner at a food cart (abundant doesn't even begin to describe their numbers); modestly good Thai food. Massaman curry with chicken over noodles (because I had originally asked for Kao Soi (a Northen Thai noodle dish that features boiled and deep fried egg noodles and chicken in a sauce that's similar to massaman curry with peanuts, cilantro, lime, mustard greens).
Since I'd worked the weekend, I took Monday and Tuesday (4/8 and 4/9) off and we finally planted our bushes from Arnold's.



And the lilacs I insisted on :-)

The few things plants that were originally in our gardens are slowly starting to bloom too. Here's the dogwood in the backyard:

These came up in the gravel between the front sidewalk and the house. I'm not sure what they are, but they have a lovely fragrance. Any ideas?


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad
4 comments:
Hyacinth (a bulb)according to picture of bloom.
Yard is looking good.
Hyacinth (a bulb). Your yard is looking good.
Hyacinth (a bulb)according to picture of bloom.
Yard is looking good.
Virginia THANK YOU! That's not what I would have guessed. I was thinking jonquil or something (only because I've heard the name around here). I think there might be a tulip or two mixed in there. Will know in a couple of days.
Post a Comment