I confess to feeling pretty smug today. On Thursday, I was asked to cover part of a face to face class for a colleague who was ill and would be unable to teach. The class was Saturday morning (yesterday) and the topic was statistics! Aacckk! even double aacckk! The last time I thought seriously about stats was probably during the comprehensive exam for my PhD...years ago!
Well, I dragged out all of my stats textbooks as well as the textbook chapters that this class had recently read and prepared a demonstration using some data from the IPEDS Library Survey in SPSS. And I think it worked pretty well. The students enjoyed talking through what they'd already read and I think it helped to solidify some of the concepts for them. Luckily for me, this class is (in part) about learning to interpret statistical tests when you read about them in research reports and NOT about how to actually calculate them.
Other than messing up my demo of a chi-square test of independence in SPSS at the very end, I think it went pretty well. Whew!
No comments:
Post a Comment