Tuesday, March 27, 2007
Dilema
There's been quite an uproar in our neighborhood during the last few weeks. That's when a sign appeared in what we thought would be the third section of our subdivision but all of a sudden is being considered, we learned from the sign, for a new multi-family low-income housing development. Now, it's really easy to look down your nose at the home owners in a situation like this who seem to be saying "low income housing is great...just don't put it in MY neighborhood" and to talk about the benefits that would accrue to the residents of the new project (getting their kids in better schools, etc.)...until it's YOUR life savings that you've invested in your home and is now being threatened with a decrease in value and YOUR favorite kids' safety that's in jeopardy. I'm feeling very torn about this because, I will admit, I was one of the highbrows supporting social justice until now. And ok, it won't be the end of the world for me personally if this happens (although it would be close if one of my neighborhood kids was hurt in any way as a result) but darn it, I don't want the value of my biggest investment to drop...I love my house and my neighborhood and most of the kids in my neighborhood. FMI, go to http://www.caller.com/ccct/local_news/article/0,1641,CCCT_811_5445681,00.html, http://www.kiiitv.com/news/local/6410837.html, and a video (starring my next door neighbor!) at that same site.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment