Monday, June 26, 2006

For readers only

It's Monday afternoon and I'm sitting in a session called "What you'll read next". The speakers are an author (Gail Godwin), a publisher (Sara Nelson), and a librarian (Neil Ryan, not sure I spelled her name right). Neil has by far been the most interesting speaker IMHO. She's talking about how librarians (mostly public) can create "buzz" about new books. She suggests that we contact publishers, get to know them, and make use of the information and materials (including galleys) that they make available on their web sites. Some of my favorites are Hachette Book Group USA, Harper Collins (http://www.harpercollins.com for their newsletter, Holtzbrink Publishers (one of whose imprints is TOR/Forge, a fantasy publisher), and Random House.

Another suggestion she makes is to keep up with the book news at sites like Baker & Taylor's Fast Facts (http://www.btol.com/fastfacts/), LJXpress (http://www.libraryjournal.com), the "Coming Soon" section of Barnes & Nobel's web site.

As an aside, this is a very interesting program to me because this is a VERY different group of librarians than those that I usually hang out with. For one thing, they are so focused on paper! When one of the speakers started talking about podcasts, she asked the audience if anyone was podcasting from their libraries...only one person's library was. They worry about things like not recognizing the book on display at the front door of Barnes and Nobel. However, they are also just as passionate about what they do as are the nerdy, technically advance, serials librarians I'm used to.

No comments: